Whether you are an existing property owner, new to western Carteret County, or researching the area, we would like to welcome you!
We pride ourselves in providing the utmost quality service to our customers and a high quality water supply. If you have any questions or concerns regarding our service, contact us! We will always welcome your suggestions.
ESTABLISHING AN ACCOUNT
- Applications should be completed in person in our office located at 4102 Hwy. 24, Newport, NC 28570
- If a customer cannot come into the office due to scheduling or other constraints, such as living out of town, we will be happy to fax the necessary form or you may download it below or from the Forms & Reports tab on this site. Applications that are not completed in our office must be notarized before service can be established. When downloading the form, we suggest that you still contact our office to schedule your service date and provide other details that may be needed.
- For new taps, the meter will need to be located, using a flag provided by our office.
- WCWC respects our members' privacy. As such, we do not discuss account information with anyone other than the account holder(s). Therefore, we suggest establishing a joint account when applicable. (Another option is to provide a notarized statement giving our company permission to discuss account issues with a designated person.)
UTILITY CREDIT CHECK
Because WCWC bills for water usage after the service (water) is received, we are extending credit to our account holders. As such, we will run a utility credit check upon receiving a request for service (completed application). The purpose of the credit check is to review your credit rating with other utilities, which determines your deposit amount. (This does not reflect as a "credit hit" on your credit reporting history.) A social security number is required for the utility credit check. YOU DO NOT HAVE TO PROVIDE YOUR ENTIRE SOCIAL SECURITY NUMBER. However, a security deposit will be required if the utility check cannot be preformed. (We will still use the last four-digits of your social security number in order to verify your identification in the future.) Social security numbers are not just used for identification purposes. If you close your account and we owe you a refund, but we do not have a good forwarding address, your money will be sent to the state. In order for the state to hold the money for you, we must provide them with your social security number and other pertinent information. For this reason, it is important to keep WCWC updated on any information changes you may have (phone number, address, etc).
Deposits are based on utility credit check history, previous account history, and/or ownership status. Deposits range from $100-$175 for residential properties and must be paid in cash, money order, or certified check.
- Deposits are eligible for refund as a credit to your account after 12 billing cycles with no late payments. If, after receiving a refund, the account holder becomes past due to the point of interruption, a new deposit may be imposed, and the 12-month review period will begin again. The same applies for accounts where the deposit has been waived initially.
- Those establishing a rental/transient account must pay a deposit, but, like anyone paying a deposit, a credit refund can be processed after 12 billing cycles with no late payments (13 months).
- For primary/ownership accounts, deposits can be waived where an approved letter of credit is provided by another utility for a 12-month period along with a utility credit check.
SCHEDULING A SERVICE CALL
We attempt to provide same day service for applications received by 10 a.m. Monday through Friday. Therefore, please plan in advance, giving at least 24 hours notice. Where it is necessary to establish service on the same day, an additional fee may apply (see Rates & Fees tab). To avoid possible water damage, water meters can only be turned on by staff when an appointment is made to meet the account holder or representative at the time the meter is being unlocked. Otherwise, you can turn the meter on at a time convenient for you.